Tuesday, February 15, 2011

a confession

i sometimes have a dirty mouth. in my defense, i usually only swear, cuss, curse (whatever you call it) out loud when i’m around my fiance or very close friends. and, also in my defense, the foul words don’t carelessly fly out of my mouth-- they are often deliberate and befitting in most circumstances.


still, i don’t like it. years ago, a great friend of mine told me that she doesn’t swear because she thinks that curse words don’t help her express herself any better than non-curse words. so, why start? she has a good point. but swearing, if the situation permits, can be so right. allow me to elaborate:

exhibit a: the wrong:
“oh, f--k, i totally forgot to get my clothes out of the washer!”
“that mailroom guy has been such a d--k lately.”

exhibit b: the right:

“wow, that 12 course thai meal at arun’s was f------ fabulous.”
“love, some ass---- totally stole your parking space.”

exhibit c: the understandable:
“s---, i stubbed my toe in the bathtub!”

right, wrong, or understandable, i still feel a little awkward admitting this bad habit of mine. so, i think i’ll stop swearing soon, one step at a time. starting with the exhibit a category, of course.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing post! I can totally relate... I try not to swear either but sometimes it just happens... especially when I'm running late, stub my toe on the way out and then forget my wallet at home (this happened to me over the weekend!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is a habit of mine that i hope to stop, too. i also use curse words in the company of my husband and close friends, who use their share of curse words, but i think as time changes we'll stop. well, maybe if we stub our toe or hurt ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear too much probably, at least I swear way more than my husband does. But I think it's okay as long as you're not swearing at each other or something. I use the f word too much, I should work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haa I don't swear. And people sometimes apologise around me when they swear.

    ReplyDelete