Monday, January 10, 2011

plumbers' paradise

we have no running water. this never happens. i realized this almost immediately after stepping into my apartment today. you see, after hastily dropping my purse, hat, scarf, and gloves on my hallway chair, then hanging up my winter coat in the coat closet, i routinely walk over to the kitchen to wash my hands. some call it OCD. i call it CTA (that’s Chicago Transit Authority for you non-Chicagoans). riding on public transit during rush hour traffic in downtown Chicago makes me feel uneasy. from germ-infested poles and railings to sardine-packed passengers coughing in your face. oof, it can be stressful enough to make you feel that you need to shower immediately. but my feelings of uneasiness are quickly wiped from my memory after a solid hand washing.

so, what to do without any running water? hand sanitizer. twice applied. still not enough to feel satisfyingly clean. feeling dirty and hungry, i head over to my favorite coffee shop, where i am sitting now, to wash my hands and treat myself to a hot meal. much better, but i have to admit that a beautiful, warm bath would be the icing on the cake.


this one would do the trick. maybe my luck will turn tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment