Thursday, January 6, 2011

"i like to postpone that kind of thing" -johnny depp

he's referring to trips to the dentist. and, years ago, i would have agreed with the lovely mr. depp if it were not for two reasons:

1. i realized that my oral hygiene regimen is subpar,
which means no more sticky, sugary candy (my archenemy) and more frequent brushing after every meal. last month my dentist brought much-needed attention to my sugar abuse problem when she said, "look, you're young, and you're pretty, but you've got to take better care of your teeth... do you eat really sticky candy?" guilty as charged. mortified by the number of cavities i had (they've been filled since), i haven't touched candy in weeks, but there's no harm in looking at it, right?












2. i love going to the dentist!
let me explain. i know it sounds a bit unorthodox, but i really get a kick out of my dentist and her assistants. they are so fun and charismatic that you sometimes forget about the cavity filling process and enjoy their laugh-out-loud stories. feeling generous and full of holiday spirit last month, i decided to surprise them with cupcakes during one of my dentist appointments. i thought it might be a faux pas to bring sweets to their office, but everyone craves a little sugar once in a while! and, man, did they enjoy the cupcakes.

today was my last visit to the dentist (for gum scaling, in case you were wondering), and i'm actually relieved. as entertained as i felt during my visits, my teeth and gums need at least a six month break from the dentist. oh, and, laughing at jokes when somebody is drilling inside your mouth? so challenging and almost not worth it. almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment